Partner with us and transform your school or community center into a local source of freshly grown produce and a beacon of nutrition and health education, year round!
Fresh Food and a Youth-Led Food Justice Movement
Teens for Food Justice (TFFJ) is a unique after-school program for youth, ages 12 to 18. We work with teens to build and cultivate indoor hydroponic farms that serve as local sources for fresh food and centers for nutrition and health education in their schools and communities. Here, students gain transferable expertise and leadership skills in food justice advocacy, nutrition education and cutting-edge urban agricultural technology that empower them to advocate for health and food equity in their own communities.
The Teens for Food Justice Experience
The TFFJ after-school program teaches youth the real-world science, engineering and economics of growing significant quantities of food indoors, in urban settings, using an array of hydroponic systems they build themselves.
School-wide benefits of the classroom farm include:
- A minimum of 50 lbs per month of fresh produce year-round for students and families in the greater community; up to 22,000 lbs annually for daily school lunch and community families
- A living, green science lab for use by all school students
- Exposure to the cutting edge technology of a new and growing economic sector
Each day in the classroom farm brings new projects and experiences that challenge students to think critically about food justice and their communities; leadership and advocacy training helps teens transform knowledge into action:
- Teens become ambassadors for health and food equity
- Teens learn to lead by teaching others
- Teens gain the skills and confidence to empower others to take charge of their own health
Monthly Saturday events open the farm to the community, where all can participate in student-led activities and take home freshly harvested produce.
Teen-led outreach events spread awareness of nutrition and healthy affordable shopping strategies:
- Teens work with experts to lead healthy shopping & cooking lessons and health & fitness trainings
- Teens design and lead community advocacy initiatives that lobby for food justice in their communities
What We Need From You
AND SPACE FOR
AND CURIOUS KIDS
MAKE A DIFFERENCE
AND THE WORLD