Our part-time mentoring program for young adults is an integral part of the Teens for Food Justice experience. By joining our dedicated team of mentors, you have the opportunity to serve as a key player in a movement to revolutionize healthy food access and nutrition education in our urban communities.
As a mentor, you will facilitate a hands-on, empowering learning environment for Teens for Food Justice students, teaching them to build their hydroponic farm, manage crop production and distribution, and helping them learn the health, nutrition and advocacy skills they need to help others take charge of their own health.
Great mentor candidates are:
- Undergraduate or graduate students (we also consider applications from high school juniors and seniors)
- Students who are studying or considering a career in education, public health, nutrition, social services or community development
- Students who are looking for a robust and meaningful professional development experience leading youth
Mentors work with our youth team at one of the following locations:
- Brownsville Collaborative Middle School
- DeWitt Clinton High School Educational Campus
- Far Rockaway High School Educational Campus
- MLK Jr. Educational Campus
- Urban Assembly Unison School
- Be an ongoing role model and supporter for youth
- Expand your practical knowledge of nutrition and fitness in a public health context
- Become familiar with food justice and its social and economic roots
- Learn about hydroponic farming technology by teaching its basics to youth and facilitating the hands-on maintenance of the farm and its crops
- Advocacy skills: learn to help others formulate grassroots social justice movement
- Collaborate with lead teacher and TFFJ staff on aspects of planning and troubleshooting day-to-day curriculum for a middle school after-school program
- Obtain training in instruction and classroom management
- This is a volunteer, apprenticeship position and stipends are provided.
- Hours may also be used for federal work study or to meet school community service or internship requirements.
How to apply:
Please send your cover letter and resume to Renae Cairns, firstname.lastname@example.org.